Sunday, September 6, 2009

Post Script

In an amazing twist of irony I had another run-in with the padlock at our gate this weekend:

After feeling pretty sad and homesick for all of Sunday that I had missed my Mom's birthday party, I was finding a little consolation in the fact that I was going to be able to see some of my family over Skype at the baby shower they were having for my sister Brooke on Sunday.

And this time I was NOT gonna miss it! I told both Mrs. Madoffee and their housekeeper to please not padlock the gate AND I left for the office two hours early, just to make sure I didn't get locked in.

I get to the office, internet is working, Skype is loading...this is awesome, it's all happening! I was able to video Skype with my fam and get to see everyone at the shower, including my Grandma who has never used a computer, much less video Skype! It was great, and like getting a big hug from home. I needed that.

After talking with everyone for a bit, I decided I should head back before it got to late. I made my way home in the dark, stepping over biting ants (a couple got me) and arrived at the gate. Key in...and wait. Why isn't this opening? I'm sure I just turned it the wrong way...try the other way.

So I tried it again. And again. I can hear the lock opening, so...THIS GATE IS PADLOCKED!!

Oh my god. My first thought was, "You've gotta be kidding me! I asked TWO people to leave the padlock open!!"

Exasperated, I stepped back and stared at the wall between me and my house. Alright...guess I'm gonna climb this thing after all. After ditching my $3.99 flip flops from Old Navy and turning off my headlamp (I don't want to look like I'm breaking in), I somehow managed to scale the actual gate and adjoining wall to get myself up over the wall, backpack in tow, and lower myself down.

Letting myself into my house with dirty feet and hands from the climb...I couldn't help but feel that breaking into your own house was just a little bit bad-ass; and that it will probably come in handy at some later date.

2 comments:

  1. Wish somebody could have gotten a picture of you scaling the wall complete with backpack and headlamp. That would have been priceless! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. breaking into your home is bad ass, congrats on making it to the next level of badassery
    ~A

    ReplyDelete