Friday, September 11, 2009

The Friday Rand-O List: Dar Edition

I came to Dar es Salaam yesterday to meet with some of SACIDS partners here in the city with a couple of colleagues & am staying the weekend to meet up with the rest of Team TZ. Plenty of random stuff has happened:

1. I went to the Ministry of Livestock, Ministry of Health and Central Veterinary Laboratory (among other places) yesterday wearing yellow shoes. A smart pencil skirt and yellow shoes.

I learned from Russ that functionality will take you far, but I learned from Mary that 80 degree heat and dirt roads are no excuse for not having cute shoes.

2. The YWCA in Dar is kind of meh. It's very hostel-esque, but is clean and in a very central location.

3. Amendment to #2: a cockroach ran out of my bag while I was getting out my wallet this morning. I didn't even flinch...not that abnormal.

4. I found FRESH mozzarella at one of the grocery stores in Mogo...made pizza sauce last week and planning to make pizza dough (& actual pizza) this week. This could get dangerous.

5. I went to an actual sort of real coffee shop this morning (!!). I am sure my stomach will hate me later for drinking a latte with whole milk...buuuut, I think it was sorta worth it.

6. I am currently kicking it at Muhimbili University of Health and Applied Sciences in Dar, which is one of SACIDS partners. They're letting me use the internet. I got here all by myself. Just like a big kid.

7. On Sunday Goodluck and his friends are planning to take the A-Team on a boat cruise around Dar. So far, I'm picturing something like the video "I'm on a Boat"... Either way we'll probably be singing that song; I'll let you know.

8. I feel I'm developing some amateur plumbing skills during my time in TZ. The thing is that even if there is a flushing toilet somewhere, it's not guaranteed it will actually flush. I successfully manipulated one into working this morning. I might start charging for this.

It's Friday in Tanzania and the rest of the A-Team arrives in a few short hours...I better get outta here!!

No comments:

Post a Comment