Friday, June 11, 2010

Mary Goes to Africa - Reflections by MJB

A few reflections from my mom on her recent (and epic) trip to Africa....

My daughter Angie who has always been adventuresome accepts a fellowship w/GHC after completing her Masters in June 2009. Since this would be Angie's 4th trip to Africa - I was happy for her and really not worried.  The program seemed to be something she was very interested in and was certainly in her field.   The main concern I had was that she would be gone for one full year.   So what does a parent do - but make plans to come and visit her.  I was encouraged by Angie and Nick( her brother who was also  making the trip) that  the trip would be less stressful if I did would  tone down how much I  brought with me , to wear minimal make up, no hair dryers or curling iron. So I obliged.   

All year we talked about the trip -but in late January plans started to materialize.  Angie sent us a Tanzanian Guide Book for Christmas and she tried to prepare us for the different culture and sights we would see.  She noted that the people were the same as us -working at jobs, having a life and doing what is best for our families - just that they were on the other side of the world.  

As the time grew closer I was getting so excited - FOR ONE THING to see Angie!!!  The week before we left - I made myself really focus at work - and at home at nite.  I knew if I did not I would not be able to sleep!!  In hindsight I should have done more homework to prepare myself for the changes I would see.

So off we flew on Saturday April 3rd for a trip of a lifetime!! What a JOY it was to see Angie!  But to be very honest- I was not prepared for the cultural shock I would experience. (And it is not that Angie did not try to prepare me)  I'm sure everyone knows about the lost luggage with my mental health medicine & the extended stay due to the volcano. However the trip was very memorable - we had many ups, downs, challenges and opportunities. But we went through them together as a family and came out closer and stronger.  

These are the things I would to share that I learned about Africa:

* The work that Angie and the GHC Fellows are doing is not for the faint of heart.
*  Angie's world is much bigger  than mine but I am so fortunate to  have her as my daughter    so I  can continue to grow and broaden my world.
* The country of Tanzania is beautiful and full of culture.  I especially liked the Indian Ocean and of course the Safari area.
* The people of Tanzania - are very kind and welcoming, along with being hard working and resourceful.  I was also drawn to their sense of style and dress.
*   We are blessed with so much in the US - yet we complain and whine.
* I did just fine with out the makeup and extra clothes - in fact it was a lot more relaxing.

I’d like to say I came back a changed person. I am so grateful to live in the US.  I hope I will continue to have a grateful attitude for all that I have. I look forward to the next journey Angie takes me on. Next time I will carry my medicine on board with me and do more homework before I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment